PDA

View Full Version : Tippman Sierra One vs A5 as starting kit?

dannLOUW
June 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hey

I'm looking at a good starter kit (marker, mask, tank, etc.) for woodsball, milsim and other scenarios games, but have hit 'n fork in the road which if unsolved will turn into a dead-end. The problem comes with which marker to base my kit on.

My favorites at the moment are the Tippmann Sierra One and the A5.

The best Sierra One kit I found. It goes for R 2525 and includes:

1x Tippmann Sierra One Tactical Marker
1x 200rnd Hopper
1x 20 Oz CO2 cylinder
1x Invert Helix mask + thermal lens
1x Bunkered 4+1 Pod Pack
4x 140rnd Pods
1x 2 point Tactical Sling
1x Vertical Grip
1x BBD, Squeegy ant Tools

But I also really like the Tippmann A5.
I can get a new A5 for between R1700 and R1800.
What i really like about the A5 is that it comes with a Cyclone as standard, so you can add a response trigger (+- R700) or eGrip (+- R1100) to upgrade it to full auto. Tghe A5 can also be modded to look like many real life gun (with enough time I would turn it into an MP5SD).
Note that I haven't included a mask, etc. because prices differ from place to place.

So the question I ask you now is should I take the Sierra One kit which is complete, or buy the A5 as well as a mask and tank.
I have a budget of R 2500, but if it really is worth it I can go up to R 3000.

Please comment, and suggest other set-ups if they can compete with these.
What would be a good starter thermal lens mask, and is the mask in the S1 kit a good one?

If you can help me here - THANKS SO MUCH.

JouDoring
June 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM
another guy also had a similar thread, but his budget was a bit different.

the A5 is going to be the best choice between the two. Out the box it is a really, really lekker marker, and you'll probably be spending loads of cash still on making it look cool and upgrading. It is a very playable marker, my friend was used to playing speed ball, and wanted a descent scenario marker, so he got the A5. the only upgrades he put on was a red dot scope and a j&j barrel.

Go for the A5, and make sure you get a nice mask.

Adrian
June 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
a5 according to you R1800
20 oz about R300 why the big tank. when you upgrade to a remote coil with stock and and and you will want to have the 20 oz
mask = proto axis pro. about R800 Features:

Silicone woven rubber goggle strap. Designed to be adjusted to fit your head and remain fitted. Tiger tooth strap buckles will allow you to adjust your strap for a custom fit and will bite down to secure the strap.
Compression formed soft Ear pieces with adjustable positioning allows you to customize the goggle for a lower profile fit. Makes the mask 20% lighter and also increase audible quality.
Incredibly simple Patented 1/4 turn Switch™ Buckle makes the hassle of changing lenses a thing of the past. Simply turn the locking tabs to unlock your lens frame. Pop out your old lens and drop in a new one.
The Switch™ lens is a tirodial lens which gives you the ultimate in vertical and horizontal peripheral vision. All Switch™ lenses have perfect optical clarity, setting the standard in visual performance.
Multi-directional venting drastically reduces any re-ventilated fogging, this will also throw your voice farther and clearer than any other vented mask on the field. The venting also assists in keeping you cool and breathing easy. The tested, proven and patented venting configuration will make communicating with your teammates effortless, as if there were no vocal obstructions.
Dual-molded goggle system designed to keep a rigid mount for the frame and lens while providing the softest face mask available. Paired with multi-directional venting system, the dual-molded combination adds up to two levels of pliability. Designed with a professional-level low profile fit to allow for a forgiving face mask, while still providing the safest eye protection system available.

Afghaki
June 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
In My opinion, for a starter kit...Take the A-5,16 Oz tank is more than enough,remote line w/ slide check,Vents Helix (smoked thermal) and a 14" JJ Ceramics barrel.
Get used to the set up of the gun aswell as your style of playing and then' get the 4+1 Bandoleer.
The mods for the A-5, though cool, only have so much functionality.e.g;
the magazines (as far as i am aware) are not expansion chambers like the BT M-16 Mag.
For a starting kit, more than sufficient. When you become an experienced scenario player, then upgrade the WHORE out of your marker!
Yes the S1 comes with a pre-kitted look but A-5 is just soooo much better.
Could also check 2nd hand BT Delta or D-E models for a good pre-kitted MP5SD look.

Cheers!

Rebellion-Paintball
June 7th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I had the same issue when I just started playing and bought my marker, I was looking at the A5, as the guys have already said, highly mod-able, tons of upgrades and a super marker given that it comes with a cyclone.

However, the the Sierra One (I own a Bravo One) is still a solid choice if you have limited budget, and was exactly the reason I bought the Bravo One, firstly I got it secondhand for R800, whacked in a R150 parts kit and was lucky to score a cyclone for R350. I was then able to purchase my wife's BT4 and all our playing gear with the change left over from what I would have spent on an A5 plus upgrades.

Truth be told my next marker is the A5, But i'll never sell my trusty Bravo one, and it still has room for a ton of upgrades...

So i guess, it all depends on how many toys you want to be able to buy starting off.

Oh btw, I don't know if you are aware, the sierra one is not made for an electronic trigger, only a response trigger, and the bravo one only e and not response, it is possible to mod either marker to accept either upgrade, but you need patience and good dremmel skills

Sub-Zero
June 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM
These comparison threads are always an interesting read.
It gives a good insight as to what other players prefer in a marker.

I have owned a Brao One Tactical, with everything!
E-Trigger, Barrel Upgrades, Cyclone, Sight Riser and Red Dot, Fore Grip etc. etc. etc.
The downside is that it was a heavy marker, and coupled with the 20 ounce tank I used ot use, it does become a bit of a pain in the wrist after a long day.

The A-5, which out of the box only really needs a barrel upgrade, is considerably lighter, and doesn't quite look as "milsim" as the Bravo or Sierra does, but is a slightly better quality marker overall..... but only slightly.

So, if you do the maths, and weigh up your preferences, then you should come up with a choice of marker that best suits your playing style, strength, and abilities.

A5 = Slightly more money | Lighter | Not great looking, but can be made to emulate almost any gun | Needs a barrel upgrade.

Sierra One = Heavy | Cheap | Looks good! | Only comes in one style | Needs a barrel upgrade.

Focus on your mask choice first!

JouDoring
June 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I've never been a fan of the E-grips, and make me shoot a million balls with one trigger pull thing. I find them dangerous in the close in fight.

My A5 has no internal upgrades, shoots perfectly fine just as is. I only have external upgrades; horizontal fore grip very lekker; remote coil saves me gas and makes me marker lighter; I then needed a stock to take the place of the gas bottle, Trust me the g36 is the way to go; a red dot and sight raiser for the best and quickest aiming ever, but you gotta force yourself to use it always takes some getting used to; oh yes and a J&J barrel 12'.

If shooting loads of paint is you're thing then go for it, but I must say that I never think that if I only shot more balls per second I would have gotten that player. I constantly wish for accuracy on my marker, paint and my ability to aim. In the scenario games I found it's usually the first ball that hits anyway. the other two are just there for in case the first one went stray, but then the target might have ducked already. What I do love is that you hardly ever have people moaning that you've over shot them.

AfterShocK
June 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM
If i were you in terms of masks i would go for the Dye i4, JT Flex 8 or a thermal helix. Dye I4 is an awesome mask but its really pricey. Flex 8 is comfortable, doesnt mist up and is considerably cheaper. Helix is also good but isnt as comfortable but is by far the cheapest. Hope that helps :)

Scicopathix
June 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I've never been a fan of the E-grips, and make me shoot a million balls with one trigger pull thing. I find them dangerous in the close in fight.

I'm gonna have to disagree with that. I have a Bravo one, with an E-trigger. I usually set it to 'full auto' at 12bps (the next setting is 15bps), but that only kicks in on the 4th squeeze of the trigger. Generally, I double-tap, so the full-auto only really gets used when I need to put down suppressive fire for my maatjies, and then I have to deliberately activate it.
I never use the 3-shot function, coz that is just wasting paint.
I have, however, been on the receiving end of a response trigger a few times, and if the chap is just 'feeling' his trigger, that can get quite an accidental squirt going on, resulting in what some would call an over-paint.
Big disadvantage of an E-trigger, in my opinion, is the battery. You have no real way of knowing how much power it still hold, until it fails.
Always carry a spare in your gear bag.

I have found the Bravo one to be a good, reliable marker, but all the bits 'n bobs I've bought over time has made it a pretty expensive one.
I have the standard 8" tactical barrel (pretty much a waste of time)
12" Tippman sniper barrel
14" Proto barrel (Better than the 16" Tippman in my opinion)
Flatline barrel
E-trigger
Cyclone feeder w/squishy paddles
Low profile hopper
Picatinny rail mounted on carry handle
Offset picatinny with red dot scope
Collapsible, extendable stock
Foregrip
Remote coil w/slide check (mounting a cylinder onto the marker, as Sub said, makes it fairly cumbersome, so I carry the 20oz CO2 bottle on my back)

So when you add all that up, I may just as well have bought a brand new high-end marker to begin with.

JouDoring
June 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
ja you see you got full control over you're marker with having it only kick in on the 4rth shot. I'm talking about those things that go ape from the first touch of the trigger. (not sure what you need to put on the marker to make it do that, but ja)

on the battery bit, can you easily put a new battery in on the field or is a bit of a job.

The remote coil is just the way to go for scenario/bush play. the coil acts as a bit of a regulator making the shots much more consistent, further more you carry less weight in your hands. The best bit ia It looks cool

Scicopathix
June 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Replacing the battery isn't too bad, but it's not really something you can do in the middle of a game.
You have to unscrew the pistol grip from the housing, dig out the old battery (9v box-type), put in a new one, screw the pistol grip back together and then switch the trigger on again.
Chance are, before you get all that done, you've turned a lovely splotchy blue/green/yellow colour, courtesy of your opponents.
Best is just call it, walk out of that game, and sort the battery out for the next round.

But, if you remember to switch off the trigger at the end of the day, the battery will last about 4 full days of play (The new energiser batteries seem to last better than most. Don't waste your money on Duracell).
The LED inside the pistol grip will turn red (normally green) when battery life is dwindling, but you can still play a good few hours at that point.

JouDoring
June 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I would start crying if I had to call my self because of a battery, and those 9v jobbies are almost R40 a pop. at least they last quite a while.

Sub-Zero
June 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Once again.... the joy of a speedball marker!

I had one 9volt battery in my little PMR from the time I bought it, to the time I sold it!

Those things are incredible on battery life.
Rated for 40'000 shots on a single battery.

Delta6
June 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Sierra one can take either e trigger or response. Clamshell design is not condusive to field stripping. It is a tad heavy but then again we are into milsim/bushball/scenario and not speedball. :43:

It is inexcusable to have a near replica marker but not a pair of equally heavy, steel toe capped, side zipped combat boots, a pair of BDUs, and leopard crawling through mud, deploying smoke and other pyrotechnics, in the name of realism.:47:

:13::14:if heavy is not for you buy a space gun:04:

US ARMY line was designed to help the troops with training. Specifically live OPFOR shooting back at you in small, confined spaces i.e CQB, and in that regard the standard barrel works fine. It would be great if every troop could be issued with a HKmp5 for clearing purposes, but untill that happens they have to train CQB with rifles, or carbines.

I like the a5 but not enough to have made it my first buy. Yes the a5 has a cyclone, but you cannot use it on any other marker:33:. Yes I want a a5, yes i want a MP5 mod, and a m249 saw, and a m108 sniper. But first i want a reliable, cheap, nothing fancy, standard assault rifle.

I use a response and gravity feed, dont have the cash or will to shoot any more than bursts anyways. The cyclone is left for the days where i want to know there is a ball available with every trigger squeeze. (Also my curret setup, (or rather our current gas supplier) makes it basically impossible to cycle both the response and cyclone at the same time.)

: 16" barrel is purely for looks, but does help.(borrowed from my spyder) Will replace with a shorter one when i forget to fold my stock and stick my barrel into the sand again.
: Red dot is purely for looks, (Have not had time to make it part of snap shoot training)

A magazine, stock and shroud costs as much for the a5 as a cyclone would for the sierra one.

The a5 is smaller and lighter? You can take the sierras shroud and stock and even magazine off, if you really wanted to.

Bottom Line. YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH A TIPPMANN

dannLOUW
June 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I've been checking the upgradability of the Sierra One. A Cyclone feed goes for about R650 and the eGrip and response triggers are under R700.
It says that the eGrip and response trigger is for the Bravo One and the Sierra One, so I'm guessing that the upgrade was originally made for the B1 and they made the S1 so that it could fir the upgrades. But I wonder if the upgrades are that compatible and how hard it is to attach them, as Rebellion-Paintball said.
Thee same goes for the A5, how hard is it to upgrade the trigger. I know the A5 comes with a quick interchange pins, etc. but surely there have to be some adjustment s for the response and eGrip.

Also, Sub-Zero mentioned that both the S1 and A5 need a barrel upgrade. If you upgrade the barrel of the Sierra 1, what happens to the AR-15 style barrel grip? Does it fir over the barrel or do you lose it?

Thanks for your time!

dannLOUW

Sub-Zero
June 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
The Sierra one has a really thick stock barrel, so any other barrel will fit, but you might have to wrap black electrical tape around any after-market barrel, in order to make it sit tight and not feel loose when you play.

The Phenom has a plastic buffer, which fits into the shroud, and sits snugly around the stock barrel.
Imagine my disapointment when I tried fitting the much thicker Sniper barrel!
Eventually, I switched on my left side of my brain, and opened up the shroud, and removed the plastic buffer, to find the gap is made specifically for the Sniper barrel.... fits like a glove!

hellohaha
June 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM
i love my sierra one so much

but needs upgrades to run with x7 and a5s but when got upgrades it dam awsome gun and reliable

sub is rite with the shroud barrel thing om thinner barrel shroud moves.

:21:

but so fun beating a speedy with bush ball gun e trigger 8 bps full auto haha

but i play speed and bush

and looking at tm7 now

so i got
serria one
ego06
a5 my gfs gun i got her
looking at getting my gf a etek
and then i want to get tm7

hellohaha
June 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM
here my sierra one :09:

neilg
June 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I'm still very new to paintball, but have spent many many hours researching, on the internet and on this site and I've learnt alot, take the time to read through the old posts in Noob and Tech section !

As a package I bought second hand 2xA5's and a BT Delta, with many upgrades, remote coils, longer barrels, extra stocks and mags, basically everything I could need

Here goes my personal opinion

The lighter the marker the better
The shorter the marker the better
Remote coil can get in your way at times, but makes your marker much lighter, it helps !
You need to move often and fast, light and short is good !
Learn how to use everything properly !
Long barrels are just in your way and for looks
Snipers dont "belong" in PB
A barrel longer than 10 inches is a waste, it just creates drag
"Vent" holes in your barrel should only start AFTER 8 inches
The Paintballs must "fit" the barrel
Polish the insides of your marker
Get air as soon as you can
A good quality mask is a MUST
So are boots for support in the bush
All the add-ons are for looks and they tend to get in the way, remember short, compact and light
Most accessories give u zero advantage !

Doesnt matter how big or strong u are, if my gun is shorter and lighter than yours I have an advantage over u in CQB

Dont fall in "that" trap, keep it simple and go have fun !

Afghaki
June 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Snipers dont "belong" in PB (1)

Doesnt matter how big or strong u are, if my gun is shorter and lighter than yours I have an advantage over u in CQB. (2)

1.) I know it's your opinion but opinions come with reason, elaborate on point (1) please.
2.) Yeah...if you have a C98 and the other guy has a TM7 and is a seasoned veteran with paintball and that marker....think about it...chances are he'll outflank you before you even knew he saw you.

P.S; I'm not attacking your opinion, simply challenging with personal experience, don't be hattin'

Cheers!

JollyRoger
June 11th, 2011, 01:54 PM
sub's right about that issue regarding the fitting of new barrels in the sierra's shroud. Personally placed a rubberband at that exact section, and sealed it up with black duct tape. Fits perfectly :)

also found that sliding the barrel through the shroud to screw it in shreds the o-ring at the end of the barrel... anyone else have this problem?

otherwise, here's my baby :)

http://paintball.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=16013&page=2

Afghaki
June 11th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Wow, that's probably the best looking S1 I have seen,EVER!The Third pic looks so awesome!Good modding bro!
Cable Tie around Buffer tube??

Cheers!

Sub-Zero
June 11th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'm still very new to paintball, but have spent many many hours researching, on the internet and on this site and I've learnt alot, take the time to read through the old posts in Noob and Tech section !

As a package I bought second hand 2xA5's and a BT Delta, with many upgrades, remote coils, longer barrels, extra stocks and mags, basically everything I could need

Here goes my personal opinion

The lighter the marker the better - Heavier Markers are more stable
The shorter the marker the better - Tip to tip movement of 5mm is more of a miss on a short marker.
Remote coil can get in your way at times, but makes your marker much lighter, it helps ! - Remotes often get in the way... I have owned two, and sold them both... hate the damn things!
You need to move often and fast, light and short is good ! - Agreed
Learn how to use everything properly ! - This inspires confidence... perhaps your biGgest asset on the paintball field!
Long barrels are just in your way and for looks - Sometimes.... great quality, short barrels come at a hefty price. Also, try convincing Planet Eclipse and Dye Precision, that they are wasting peoples time with the 14" stock barrels they put on their markers.
Snipers dont "belong" in PB - Well, let's jsut call them "Sharpshooters" then.
A barrel longer than 10 inches is a waste, it just creates drag - Only if the dwell settings are low, and there isn't sufficient charge on each shot to correctly power the paintball out the barrel in the case of a longer one.
"Vent" holes in your barrel should only start AFTER 8 inches - I would love to see the scientific theories on this. Some barrels have no porting, and are fine.
The Paintballs must "fit" the barrel - Or, must the barrel fit the paintballs?
Polish the insides of your marker - Don't even think about polishing the insides of your NT or Ego 11
Get air as soon as you can - Breathing is important! Co2 is a killer!
A good quality mask is a MUST - Nope.... a GREAT quality mask!
So are boots for support in the bush - Some will agree, others prefer running shoes... personal choice... but a good length boot will stop the puff adders from messing you up!
All the add-ons are for looks and they tend to get in the way, remember short, compact and light - If short compact and light was the recipe for the perfect weapon, then soldiers around the world would all be using MP5s and Uzis! LOL
Most accessories give u zero advantage ! The fashion police would crucify you if they read this!

Doesnt matter how big or strong u are, if my gun is shorter and lighter than yours I have an advantage over u in CQB - Only if you know how to wield it correctly. Certain SWAT team elements members go in with shotguns and M4's, whole some use their MP5s.... personal preference.

Dont fall in "that" trap, keep it simple and go have fun !

Those are my short and cheeky answers to the statements..... agree or not..... they are opinions.

neilg
June 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM
1.) I know it's your opinion but opinions come with reason, elaborate on point (1) please.
2.) Yeah...if you have a C98 and the other guy has a TM7 and is a seasoned veteran with paintball and that marker....think about it...chances are he'll outflank you before you even knew he saw you.

P.S; I'm not attacking your opinion, simply challenging with personal experience, don't be hattin'

Cheers!

No problem, I'm not a "sensative" cyberwarrior LOL

1. Many reasons
- Ammo, PB ammo isnt really designed for precision long range shooting and damages easily, so there is the first problem
- the environment (bushball) doesnt allow long range shots (its a CQB environment)
- Time doesnt allow for "true" sniper tactics
- PB marker accuracy isnt anything to get excited about

Sniping is Hardly what PB playing is about, its more a fast game with lots of shooting in a small environment

2. Wasnt referring to experience or skill, purely weight and size, the worlds armies have all moved to smaller and lighter rifles for good reason.
Running 10m with a heavy gun is easy, but do 10 x 10m sprints with stops and accrate rapid fire, and do that in a few games during the day, then the weight becomes an issue. (Especially if u are as unfit as I am)
For example, my BT Delta is quite a bit heavier and bulkier than my A5

Again just my opinion

Afghaki
June 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Well spoken sir. Respect on that!

However. like Sub said, rather use the term 'sharpshooters' as the proper definition of sniper is to fire upon multiple targets within rapid succession under cover of both natural(foliage) and man-made(Buildings) concealment from mid, and more often, long range. ( Courtesy of The History Channel - Surviving The Cut: Season One . US Special Forces )

Valid points though on everything else, still...some people have UN-natural god like abilities such as playing only with a TPX and owning big time, others effectively carrying out the role of a marksman suited for paintball.

Cheers!

JollyRoger
June 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Wow, that's probably the best looking S1 I have seen,EVER!The Third pic looks so awesome!Good modding bro!
Cable Tie around Buffer tube??

Cheers!

hehe, yea the screw that held the stock in place stripped... also note that I don't have a regulator screw anymore since the people who replaced my powertube didn't put it back in when they where done. So I put in a bolt of the same size :)

only on a Tippmann :D (or TPN in this case, same diff)

Afghaki
June 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Oh ok, thought it might have something to do with that. :13:

The first and last crews to strip on my BT-4 were the mag well screws...just put two small bolt heads on self tappers and washers of course n just put em in to hold the mag well (loosely) in place.
Got proper screws made that aren't made from hopes n promises :17:

Cheers!

neilg
June 12th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Quoting Sub-Zero

Heavier Markers are more stable
- much more to it than that ! Depends where the weight sits on the rifle, most prefer their rifles balanced, but having a rifle thats a little front heavy aids in accurate shooting. I have taken a few PCP airrifles and modified them to move the balance forward for target shooting purposes. But PB isnt target shooting

Tip to tip movement of 5mm is more of a miss on a short marker.
- miss is miss, infact longer barrels need to be held still for longer while shooting since the projectile spends more time in the barrel

Also, try convincing Planet Eclipse and Dye Precision, that they are wasting peoples time with the 14" stock barrels they put on their markers.
- so they make the perfect markers ? No room for improvement ?

Only if the dwell settings are low, and there isn't sufficient charge on each shot to correctly power the paintball out the barrel in the case of a longer one.
- longer barrels require more propellant, do they offer more accuracy at the cost of using more air / co2 ?

I would love to see the scientific theories on this. Some barrels have no porting, and are fine.
- porting has 2 functions, less muzzle blast (reduced noise) and reduces the chances of the propellant "disturbing" the flight path of the projectile as it leaves the barrel. (In short)
Other than that it looks nice. Everything I read suggested that optimal barrel length is in the 7-9 inch range. I also dont think porting is what its made out to be. Think its more everyone else is doing it so why cant we.

Don't even think about polishing the insides of your NT or Ego 11
- was referring to A5 and BT (real men shoot real markers LOL)

Breathing is important! Co2 is a killer!
- in more ways than one

Some will agree, others prefer running shoes... personal choice... but a good length boot will stop the puff adders from messing you up!
- snakes, short pieces of sharp branches, soldiers wear boots ! My comment based on where I have played.

If short compact and light was the recipe for the perfect weapon, then soldiers around the world would all be using MP5s and Uzis! LOL
- a uzi is not a rifle LOL more like a auto pistol used by Chuck Norris
- havent they all switched to carbines for ground forces ?

The fashion police would crucify you if they read this!
- its not a fashion show is it ? I believe in best tool, not best looking tool.

Only if you know how to wield it correctly. Certain SWAT team elements members go in with shotguns and M4's, while some use their MP5s.... personal preference.
- shotguns are for breaking down barriers like doors using solids, drastically reduces the survival chances of hostages if they get in the way
- M4 is compact, a shorter improved version of M16 ?

Military Carbines use target grade barrels, capable of MOA shooting up to 300m using a .223 projectile, which is more than enough for ground forces. Added to that they are shorter, lighter and more compact. Also less recoil due to smaller calibre.

Anyway, some of it my opinion and some of it facts

I'm new to Paintball, not new to shooting. A few new things to learn, but not much different

And having some fun pulling your leg LOL

Delta6
June 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
No problem, I'm not a "sensative" cyberwarrior LOL

1. Many reasons
- Ammo, PB ammo isnt really designed for precision long range shooting and damages easily, so there is the first problem Agreed
- the environment (bushball) doesnt allow long range shots (its a CQB environment) CQB sometimes, especially dense bush.

- Time doesnt allow for "true" sniper tactics Agreed Im not going to infiltrate for 3 days but then, we dont play 3 min rounds either... As for sniper tactics, ever heard of camo, leopard crawling, stalking?

- PB marker accuracy isnt anything to get excited about Agreed

Sniping is Hardly what PB playing is about, its more a fast game with lots of shooting in a small environment. i take it you dont have large environments close by?

2. Wasnt referring to experience or skill, purely weight and size, the worlds armies have all moved to smaller and lighter rifles (carbines) for good reason.
conflicts are no longer over extended ranges (thus no more need {currently} for the 7.62mm round, very rarely 'conventional', with rapid reaction being the focus.
Running 10m with a heavy gun is easy, but do 10 x 10m sprints with stops and accurate rapid fire, and do that in a few games during the day, then the weight becomes an issue. (Especially if u are as unfit as I am) I built a fire and movent course in my backyard, P.T and drills twice a week...
For example, my BT Delta is quite a bit heavier and bulkier than my A5
As die Suid Afrikaanse Weermag met R1 aanvals gewere kon rond hardloop...kan ek met n sierra en 20 ounce...

I very much like the term ghost flanker. To me a sniper is a relative term, and someone once described it as accurate fire from a concealed position. Therefore a PB sniper can run around with a a5 with saw m249 shroud if he wants (it will probably make movement harder...) But the skills are relevant. The loner, who usually dissapears, and who focuses more on the social psychology of the game than the running and gunning part. If you are on good terms with him (and know where he is), you fall back to his position drawing the opfor into his ambush. :36:

Again just my opinion
Again just my opinion

Sorry back to black, and back on topic. To most of us a marker choice was/ is never about either or. Most of us have 2 or 10... markers. I Love my sierra. But i will get a a5 and c98 for certain 'aesthetic' mods. (m82, m249, krinkov etc etc.)

Bottom line, get a marker. Any marker.:26: (any tippmann marker):04: Get out there and start playing, as frequently as possible. Bring friends along, take pictures and videos, and show everyone what a great time we are having. Play hard, Play safe, Play honourably. Help the guys who ask, and ban the ones who soil the name.

Respect the speedballers, especially the ones who are willing to play hide and seek with us.

So yeah. Sierra or a5. you will probably end up getting both anyways.

dannLOUW
June 14th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I think I'm leaning towards the Sierra One kit, but there are a few more considerations before i commit.

I think I'm going to expand my options and now i would like to know how the S1 and A5 markers compare to the BT Delta (I really like the shape).

The Delta is upgradable with a electronic trigger and BT;s Rip Clip - but how do these upgrades compare with Tippmanns upgrades.

Delta6
June 14th, 2011, 12:03 PM
http://www.paintball.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=19355&highlight=sierra+delta